Thursday, October 17, 2013

Halle-fucking-lujah!

This week has been a blur! On Monday I went to my Acupuncture appointment, got a massage, saw my chiropractor, spent the remainder of the day frolicking around with my wife and window shopping for things we can't afford and ended the day with a neuro-muscular ovary stimulating massage my a good friend of ours. The next day was our RE appointment in San Jose at the fertility clinic. Walking through those doors made me very nervous. I suspected she would emphasize what I had already been told from my OB and them tell us our options and have a few tests ordered for me. That's not what happened at all.

We sat down in her plush corner office and she asked us why we were there and what we wanted out of our visit. We told her we wanted to know why I don't ovulate and how we can get me ovulating naturally but that we wish to get things going asap! She then looked over all my blood tests from the previous months and told me my progesterone looks fine. What? but it under 10 every month! She said that serum levels tend to be much lower than they really are so mine looked fine. That was a pleasant surprise! I had her look over my BBT charts, I have been tracking for 7 months, and she very quickly said "I'm sorry if this sounds terrible, but your cycles are just SO MESSED UP!" I laughed at her honesty and bluntly agreed. She showed me where in each cycle I would have ovulated and then ordered a bunch of tests for me to get on day 3 of my next cycle to make sure thyroid, prolactin and testosterone levels are all where they need to be. At this point we are unsure why my cycles range from 20days-34days.

Then she offered to do an ultrasound to check my uterus, ovaries and follicles. After she checked the ultrasound data from August she concluded that it was a healthy cycle and I most likely ovulated a few days after based on the size of the follicle. I didn't catch what she told me until we were in the ultrasound room. I then asked her to clarify what she meant, and she said that she indeed believes I AM ovulating every month, just not regularly because of my irregular cycle patterns. Kate got so excited she screamed "YES" and threw her hands up in the air! I couldn't believe what she had just told me. All these months I have been so frustrated that my body is not producing enough progesterone and not ovulating all because some OB said so confidently after barely looking at my charts that I "Simply do not ovulate, we could try Clomid?" No bitch your dead wrong, and I don't want your Clomid I want a healthy uterus and eggs that eventually turn into a healthy baby made naturally by yours truly. Thank you very much.

So long story Short....I DO ovulate! Now we are on our way to baby making at it fullest. Researching donors and narrowing down are choices. We already had a few vials of one donor on hold cause he only has 2 left until his other vials are released from quarantine, just in case he's our guy. We both really like him...a lot! He has a very clean family medical history, previous pregnancies, amazing personal essay that was very well written, characteristics look promising and his voice is nice too. We can't get his photos till tomorrow when we get paid and that will help our search process a lot. Also he is in his very early 20's so we are hoping his little swimmers are ripe and ready for the job at hand. There is a possibility that we will have our first IUI next month, as long as my tests come back good and we can solidify a donor choice and purchase as many vials as we can afford to store. Im getting excited but keeping my cool in case it doesn't happen till December. this is the best news we have had outside of getting married in a very long time. I hope my cycles can chill out so we can figure out how to plan an IUI at the right time.

Oh, your probably wondering why we aren't doing this at home like most good lesbians do? lol Since my cycles are so off we can't predict my ovulation like we could if I were regular. So that means that I have to be diligent about my BBT tracking, OPK tracking and lots of ultrasound monitoring to make sure we can get optimal timing. Mot likely we will do the HCG trigger shot a few days prior to insemination as well to up our chances of my luteal phase being long enough to help an embryo stick. My luteal phases are actually around 13-14 days not 7-9 like I had thought based on what the RE told me. The HCG trigger shot s safe and has no side effects other than it making you "feel" pregnant for a few days afterward. But hopefully it wont be a side effect I'm "feeling" after our first IUI. The moral of this story is, get second opinions and don't try to self diagnose yourself like I love to do.

Crossing my fingers and my toes that this next month goes really well and we end up having our first IUI appointment!

No comments:

Post a Comment