Sunday, September 29, 2013

Here goes nothing...

Welcome to my blog, I sure hope its as entertaining and informational as you are hoping for. I have been reading many blogs about other lesbians and their journeys to become parents lately, and thought it was about time I start to share mine.

A little about myself:
I am a 26 year old female living on the central coast in California, originally from a small town in the central valley. Recently married my beautiful wife Kate on September 6th of this year! We have been together going on 4 years and have been planning on starting a family since we got engaged. She works in the medical field and I am currently laid off and hoping my next job is more fulfilling and includes caring for a child we conceived of together.

I love to write and read poetry and non-fiction books, although I have just found a fiction writer by the name if Sarah Waters who writes Victorian lesbian novels and am enthralled with them. It would be wonderful if I could write for a living and get paid for it, so this is my first shot at seeing how many people are interested in reading what I have to say. Very outspoken, bold and honest is how I would describe myself and my writing style. I seek no ones approval and only wish to have my opinions and the way I wish to live my life respected by others, as I respect theirs.

In August of this year after 4 months of charting my temperatures, cycles, cervical mucus (that's something I never thought of) and blood draws I went to my OB. She declared me "Infertile due to anovulation", anovulation is the lack of ovulation. I have very low progesterone levels; they say 10 is the lowest it can be to get pregnant and stay pregnant, but you should really be around 14 and up. My average is 4. Unbelievable disappointing to say the least. Of course her remedy to this was to put me on Clomid to induce ovulation so we could proceed with insemination. That's a cop out to me.

I want to know Why? Why am I not ovulating? Why is my progesterone so low? Why is this happening at 26 years old? not to mention the What? What can we do to get my progesterone up? What can be done to induce ovulation naturally? Of course today's doctors are not trained to know the answers to those questions off-hand. They send you to someone else who specializes in "infertility", that what they call it even if your not really infertile at all which pisses me off cause it puts a knot in your stomach when you hear it even if you don't believe it.

So I researched and am still researching natural ways to remedy my anovulation and low progesterone. I refuse to just bypass the problem to get a baby. I want to be healthy and to conceive a healthy baby without western medicine pumping through me and our baby. Who really knows the affects those medications could have on our offspring down the road. I would hate to find out that my lack of persistence and patience rendered our child or children physically or mentally ill later on.

I will wrap up my first and lengthly post by giving you a glimpse into our future plans. I have my first consultation with a Reproductive Endocrinologist on October 15th, researching acupuncturists who accept my medical coverage and specialize in fertility treatments, trying to find chiropractors and massage therapists who also are covered by my medical insurance and for my sanity looking into doing yoga a few times a week. Anti-anxiety meds and antidepressants are very helpful, but I want to try to learn to be calm and happy all on my own for the sake of myself, my wife and our future family.

No comments:

Post a Comment